Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie RAID Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

robatwork

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2003
GB
Hi,

I'm a newcomer to RAID, and have what is hopefully a simple question or 2.

I have a PC here configured with RAID 1. This seems to work as I have just loaded SCO 5.0.7 onto it, and if I remove either disk, the system boots up as if nothing has happened.

In the event of a disk failure, 1) how do I know a disk has failed, and 2) if a disk fails and gets replaced with a brand new one, how does the new one get built? Do I have to ghost the working disk onto the new one? Is it completely automatic?

thanks for the advice
Rob

Industry answer #4 - it depends. If you are using a ServeRAID controller, you can get a message when a disk fails, and when the drive is replaced, by default, the rebuild will start automagically. Most other vendors' RAID controller are capable of the same, but the implementation may vary - whether a monitoring utility is required for notification, etc.

Just to extend catorze's answer, with ServeRAID Manager, you have to setup notifications and email. Once you do that, then you'll receive email notifications that you have a drive error (failure, etc) depending upon what level you select when you setup the email notification.

A drive failure is scary at first, but after you have a few, they become just another thing to take care of. I know when I had my first drive failure I was in a panic...after about five of them, I just call IBM and wait for the new drive to arrive...pop it in, send the old one back and go on with my day.

The biggest problem I've had is that stupid little torqs screw they use!

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

OK thanks for the answers.

I should perhaps come clean and admit I'm not using an IBM solution - I just couldn't find a generic RAID forum here. Looks from google that ServeRAID is an IBM specific product, so I shall pursue the manufacturer (Acer) for more details...

rgds
Rob

You should have stated that up front so that we could have pointed you to the manufacturer for a proper response.

As you know, this is the IBM Disk & RAID forum, so our responses are going to revolve around that specific storage solution.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back