Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickEp

Programmer
Sep 5, 2001
US
I have been tasked with writing a "testing" application/function for a Pocket PC device. I decided to use tcl/tk since it would port to a lot of other devices (not only PDA style).

I have found the proper files/application for the Pocket PC and have installed them successfully.

However, I have the following items that I have tried to research but can find no resolution to the problems/questions:

1) How do you "exec"ute an application like Word on the PDA/PocketPC device? I can do this with the Console, but need to use tcl itself. When I call the "exec" from the tcl/tk application, the error "cannot execute file pword.exe, file already exists" and can find no reason.

2) How can I put text into another application? If I can open Word for PocketPC/WindowsCE, I need to insert text, then save the file. I cannot figure out how to do this.

3) Can I switch between open applications on the PocketPC? If I have Word
and Excel open, can I issue a command that will switch to the other one?

Thanks for the help

this has nothing to do with pda's but you could try using expect. it allows youto cummunicate with external programs. i'm currently using it to run a telnet program, and read and write to that program. i'm a complete newbie too though so thats as far as i go. just search "expect tcl" and you'll find explanations

does expect work on Pocket PC or WinCE 3.0 devices? Also, where to search - here or web?

Still need some answers to the previous questions from someone that may have done this before

Ep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back