Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J741

Technical User
Jul 3, 2001
CA
I am new to Exchange server and it's interaciton with outlook, but have recently been assigned administrative responsibilitied for a small network which already has Exchange configured on a Windows NT 4.0 Back Office Server.

As it is now, each user uses Outlook to access their LAN inbox, internet e-mail, callender, contact list, etc. The "folders view" is enabled in outlook, and each user can see all folders for each other user, and can access each other user's contact list, callender, etc.

Now, a new user has been added to the network. In the new user's Outlook, the folder view contains her mailbox, callender, contact list, etc. on the server, but also a set of the same on her workstation. She can not see the other user's set of information, and the other user's can not see her set of information.

So my question is, how can I configure this so that the new user can access the Exchange information the same as the other user's do, and so that the other users can se the new user's Exchange informaiton? Where are the Exchange options on the server, and what do I need to change on the workstations?

Please remember that I'm new to Exchange, so please provide as much detail as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Are you using exchange mail boxes or PST files on this users pc, to check this go into Mail in control panel and click the delivery tab should say MAILBOX-USENAME if you are using the exchange mailbox.

Ah, O.K. There are personal mailboxes. So now if I remove the personal mailboxes, will the callendar, contacts, inbox, etc. that the new user has been using for the past week be deleted, or moved to the Exchange mailboxes?

they'll be removed - you need to haave both pst and mailbox open and drag and drop. Then set delivery to mailbox then remove pst.

You need to reconfigure your outlook if you tell it to use Internet mail only
you need to set it to exchange server

then you can import your pst the way Zelandakh said

One other comment on the steps mentioned above. You'll want to change your delivery to the server first before starting to drag and drop from the PST to the server. If you do it after the fact, you'll find quite a few of the messages in the Inbox will be back in the PST file as the delivery settings will automatically cause the messages to be moved back to the PST file. By making the delivery change first, the messages will remain in the Inbox on the server.

--Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back