Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

losmeme

Technical User
Nov 24, 2006
US
Hi there;

Great to find this forum. I am a newbie, and several terms confuse me. If any one would be so kind:

1.) What is CCD? Is it one type of scanner, or are all scanners CCD?

2.) Understand the differences between connections. USB is the easiest to use. I am assuming that a keyboard wedge is just as easy, and functions in the same manner, you just have to have an available PS2 port (Which laptops don't necessarily have)

3.) Surprised at all the different price points. I need a scanner to scan a UPC number, and enter it into a filemaker database. I can program the Filemaker database.

I'm not looking for anything special am I? Just a basic scanner will do for this? I am looking at the Symbol 2208.

Thanks for you insights!
Argentphil

losmeme,
There are two types of scanners; CCD (Charge Coupled Device) and LASER. Both work extremely well. I think the LASER reads "marginal quality" barcodes better.

I haven't used a USB type, but the keyboard wedge works well.

If money is a consideration, EBay has some fantastic deals. I picked up two Symbol 4004's for $36.00. Ya can't beat that!
jim

The USB devices work the way a wedge works (i.e. the scanned data appears in the keyboard buffer.)

From an operational perspective, both CCD and Laser devices work well but you usually need to be closer to the barcode with a CCD (usually an inch or two). Laser devices can usually scan codes that are anywhere from several inches to several feet away.

The other consideration for lasers is beam or orbital. A beam scanner has a single laser beam that must be positioned to scan the length of the code. Orbital (AKA pattern or omni-directional) produce a grid of scans and will usually read codes no matter how they are oriented to the scan head. Most gun-type scanners are beam scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back