Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie questions - How to install apt-get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herminio

Technical User
May 10, 2002
PT
I'm a Linux newbie, and i've heard about something called apt-get, the problem is that i don't even know what it is, or what it does, can someone help me?

Thanks in advance

Herminio, Portugal

apt-get is usually part of Debian-based systems. It's basically a pacakge management tool that finds and downloads software packages for you.

If you don't have a Debian-based system, you probably don't have apt-get. It's also probably hard to install it on non-Debian systems. It's also probably not going to help you much without the other Debian package management tools.

If you really need to do this, go to look at the hints, and find the one about installing apt-get.

Alternately, there are some ports of apt-get that can be used to get .rpm pacakges. One of those would probably be easier to install on a RPM-based system, but it's not the "real" apt-get.

you can get apt-get for fedora or other distros...

apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/

search in google for: apt4rpm

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back