Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie questions for Exchange on SBS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Custardptt

Technical User
Jan 12, 2005
GB
Hi All,

I have been asked to look after an SBS 2003 server and configure the Exchange 2003 part of it. I'm finding it rather more difficult than anticipated. Not sure whether problems with the machine or simply my lack of experience with exchange.

Creating New mailboxes:
I thought I could add existing users to exchange from Active Directory Users and Computers (right click User, select 'Exchange Task', select 'Add Mailbox'). I get a success message but the mailbox never shows up in Exchange Manager.
If I use the Small Business Server Wizard I can create users complete with working mailboxes. Does this mean I have to delete and then add users if I want them to have mail or am I being stupid?

Correct email addresses:
Our DNS domain does not match our email domain (I think this is normal for SBS installations). Email gets in OK but when we send email it appears to come from this imaginary domain. If I change the email address on the general tab (Active directory Users and computers) from test@foo.local to test@realname.org I can send mail with the correct address but after a few minutes I loose the ability to log in to outlook web until I change it back again. This happens on any change (eg change test@foo.local to t.est@foo.local). What am I doing wrong.

Thanks for looking

Pete

For the mail domain issue - In the SBS Admin console, scroll to the bottom and expand the Advanced tree.

Locate the Exchange tree and expand that.

Expand Administrative Groups, Servers, "your server", Protocols, SMTP, Default SMTP Server.

Right-Click on the Default SMTP Server and select Properties.

Choose the Delivery tab and then click the Advanced button.

There will be a field for Fully Qualified Domain Name.

This is where you want to put your External/Public domain. Exchange will use this value to adjust outgoing email headers so they have the appropriate return domain.

Many thanks mmendes for your concise and accurate answer.

dkediger, I think you have answered the problem I was going to have next so thanks for that as well.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back