Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarlaJ

Programmer
Jul 21, 2003
US
I'm trying to connect to a MySQL database located on a Unix server using MySQL Front on my NT workstation. I'm getting the error "Connection Failed: 1130 - xxx.xx.xx.xxx (my IP address) is not allowed to connect to this MySQL".

I've never used MySQL before (only Microsoft SQL Server) so I need help. I have assumed MySQL Front is meant for remotely accessing a database similar to SQL Enterprise Manager being able to connect remotely. So how do I get MySQL to recognize MySQL Front? I assume it's a permissions problem on the MySQL side but I haven't a clue how to handle it. I have the admin username and password. Help!

Hi,

per default, the root is only allowed to login a mysql-system from localhost. If you are sure you want to login as root remotely (which is a bad idea), use:

grant all on *.* to root@% identified by &quot;<password>&quot;;

But I would recommend you to use another account.

Greetings

--
Smash your head on keyboard to continue...

Thanks for the quick response.

So if I wanted to add a user and then access remotely would I go to a Unix prompt and do this?

mysql --user=root mysql
GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,DROP
ON MyDatabaseName.*
TO MyUserName@localhost
IDENTIFIED BY 'MyPassword';

And if the syntax is right, that doesn't solve my IP address but if I do the TO line as MyUserName@xxx.xx.xx.xx that might fix it?

Hi,

not:
TO MyUserName@localhost

but instead:
TO MyUserName@% (for all remote hosts, excludes localhost)
--or--
TO MyUserName@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (for a specified ip)

Also i'm not sure wether it works on the commandline, because i personally always did it inside mysql, but just try it out as you like!

Greetings

--
Smash your head on keyboard to continue...

Just wanted to thank you instead of just leaving this out there hanging. I understand now what I need to do thanks to you. I just am trying to get access to the server now so I can add myself and start working. I was hoping to come back here with a &quot;Thanks! It worked!&quot; but alas my IT department works slower than this forum ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back