Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcgiGlyph

Programmer
Mar 24, 2003
US
Hey All,
I have a question ni regaurds to what would be the best path to follow. The program I am trying to compile works like this. Our server has custom alters that let us know about trigger events happening on the server. We have a DOS based program called bmail that can send email VIA the command prompt. The custom alerts allow for exicution of a application but not string within. What I am try to do in a nut shell is create a inter-mediary. By that I mean a file that when exicuted by the alert, opens the Command prompt and then exacutes the BMAIL program with the Variables needed. A example of what it would need to look like is

C:\bmail\bmail.exe -t user@domain.com -f terminal@server.com -b Body of message here etc. Anyone have any idea's on what a good method to do this would be?

you could use the spawn() family of functions for that or perhaps you would prefer to use ShellExecute() or even CreateProcess()

Take a look at those APIs and then provide some more specific information in your question.

-pete

Yeah ShellExecute,WinExec,System APIs ..you can chcek their format...CreateProcess will start a new process which might be useful on opening that file...
Hope this helps

I think [tt]CreateProcess[/tt] is the most flexible of the API's to start a new process.

ShellExecute has its uses, particularly to launch documents or URLs in the default application.

[tt]WinExec[/tt], as the MSDN comments, "is provided only for compatibility with 16-bit versions of Windows" and thus should only be used for that purpose.

This is just opinon, of course. :D

Will

It does not seem to be working can someone provide a small example or URL. Thanks.

>> It does not seem to be working

post the code that does not work.

-pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back