Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cstambaugh

IS-IT--Management
Oct 7, 2013
US
Hello,

I am new to MS Project and I have been searching Google for answers all morning with no real results that help. I have several projects all set and a master project that shows all of the sub projects. I want to make the sub projects show a running total of what of the total budget is left, or just have it run a total cost accruing as data is input, and transferred to the master. I got the sub projects to transfer when I add data to them to the master, but I cannot figure out how to add a calculated field that shows a total of how much money has already been spent so far, just in a total field on its own, listed for each project, seperately. I have added costs, Work, resources, but cannot get them to pull a number and place it on the main Gantt Chart View. I know I am probably missing something simple, or I am over thinking the issue and not seeing something obvious, but I do not knwo what it is. Anyone who can point me to a step by step video to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
C

Are you tracking data? (Updating % complete, Actual Start, Actual Finish) If so, Project should be calculating Actual Costs based upon the tracked data. No need for a calculated field, just show the Actual Cost field. If you saved a baseline before tracking Project will calculate Remaining Costs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back