Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolwol

MIS
Apr 3, 2006
US
Does anyone know of any good websites to learn UNIX? or any freeware?

Thank you

Any particular variety? - this would help in pointing you towards freeware. You could download cygwyn and have a play with that.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Take an old PC - any old PC - I'm sure you can find one for pennies. Download a flavour of Linux - Ubuntu is a good starting point but there are plenty more. Now install the Linux on your PC.

Now Linux is not Unix but it's close enough to start with and has a very Unix flavour to it. You can also find plenty of Linux tutorials on line.

Only one word or warning, once you venture into the dark side you never go back!

On the internet no one knows you're a dog

Columb Healy

Hi

Alternatively, get a not too old machine and try a live CD. ( Those will boot from a CD, load into the memory and work without touching your harddisk. ( Unless you explicitly request it. ) They are great for learning. )

Feherke.

Thank, all I am currently downloading the live CD to start with. Does anyone know of any good tutorials online?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back