Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokky

Technical User
Nov 9, 2006
AU
Hi guys,

I am about mid level in C, I want to learn about C++ and I'm pretty newb in C++, is there any way that I can start to learn ?

How similar between C and C++, and if I use window, what do I need to install and If I use linux what package do I need to install.

Thanks guys,

This is a pretty good list

> How similar between C and C++
They've been drifting apart for 25 years. Whilst there is superficial similarity, there are some deep-rooted differences as well.
Whilst C++ is a semantic superset of C, but the same certainly isn't true at a syntactic level. Some valid C programs will not compile at all as C++, and some others will just work differently.

Also the whole approach of C++ encourages you to adopt an object oriented approach. Whilst you can do 'OO' in C, and write imperative programs in C++, neither are regarded as a good choice (unless it's your only choice).

> if I use window, what do I need to install and If I use linux what package do I need to install.
If you've already installed 'C', chances are you've already got C++ capability as well.

--
If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.

Hi Salem,

I haven't got anything in windows yet. So what do I need to install, I just got C in linux as part of package installation OS ?

Thanks mate

Also gaining popularity, but not listed is It's the apparent successor to dev-c++, both of which are IDE's around the MinGW compiler. If you do get devc++ or code::blocks, be sure you get the larger version which has the compiler as well (the smaller ones are the IDEs alone).

Visual Studio Express is another good choice.

Most Linux distributions come with GCC (a whole suite of languages), but not all of them install it by default.

--
If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back