Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

komyg

Programmer
Dec 13, 2005
BR
Ok, I don't know anything about tcl/tk and I'm having trouble with executing even the simplest code.
As I know C, I was expecting some kind of compiler to make the code into an executable, but I can't find one in tcl/tk. Does this means that if I just write:

puts "Hello World!"
exit 0

in the notepad and save it as test.tcl, it is supposed to work if I click it twice (so far it hasn't)? If not, how do I make it work?

Thanks,
Komyg

The first question is: have you installed TclTk?

It is true that Tcl is not a compiled language but it is interpreted (think GWBasic) and you need the interpreter to do this.

If you get the installation from ActiveState ( and run it, your PC should automatically associate .tcl files with the interpreter.

Now, let's say you did all that. In your example:
puts "Hello World!"
exit 0
you don't have anywhere to puts. Try this instead:
From your Start button, under Progams, go to the ActiveState group and choose the Tclsh[red]xx[/red] program. That will bring up a Tcl Shell.
At the prompt, type source <path if needed>test.tcl

Does that work?

Yes, it's working perfectly. Thank you very much.

Komyg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back