Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneTeck

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
US
Im very new to Zenworks 6.5 and I created an application object and associated it with a Workstation object and everytime I boot the workstation it doesnt load the application object in fact it does nothing. I downloaded the Documentation but it still doesnt answer alot of my questions does anyobne have a good tutorial on setting up an application object. Im pulling my hair out at this point.

Help

Welcome to ZEN.. You're going to love it.

I would recommend that for starters, you associate the apps to the users, not workstations. Once you figure out how things work a little better, you can start to experiment with the workstation associations.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

I thought a little more about what you are asking and realize that you might be confused as to how ZEN works.

Associating an application to either a workstation or a user will not automatically install it. There are Numerous options that determine the behavior of the installation.

Generally you assoicate the application with a user, and then you check the boxes to determine where the icon will appear (if at all).. It can be the desktop, the quicklaunch, the taskbar, the startmenu, or the nal app window. That's the first step. For complex applications that require an installation, the idea is to install the application the first time you click the icon. The subsequent launches of the app will recognize that the app is installed and will just run it instead. (these are very general statements).

There is an option available that will 'force run' the app, causing it to launch the app and install it automatically. And many options can be used together to achieve different results.

Also, don't forget that you must have the ZEN agent installed on a workstation for it to provide the application launching service. The documentation you are reading probably assumes you know this. If you've installed all the ZEN components, you can find the agent at SYS:pUBLIC\ZENWORKS\ZFDAGENT\ENGLISH\... something like that. and it's called ZFDAGENT.MSI.

One of the best things you could do is just go through ConsoleOne and open an App object and go through each tab and see what options are available. Most of them are pretty self explanitory.

Hopefully this will give you a place to start. And if you want to see a fat guy on a waterfall, go here . But you can also find out some other good stuff about ZEN and what it can do for you since ZENworks is the focus of the fall issue..

Marvin

Well I got the application to launch when I associated it with a user, sure wish it would work when you associate it with workstation only. Im just curious do you some how have to get the workstation to run application launcher to get it to work, with a user it runs in the login script but how do you get it to run with the workstation only? I played around with the workstation part alot yesterday with no success being completly new to zenworks could someone point me in the right direction?

There's an option on the Run Options tab under the Application heading called Force run as user if application is workstation associated. Check that box and it should run like you want it to if you associate it with machines instead of individual users. What a lot of newbies don't remember is that workstation applications, policies, etc... are pushed out on a different default schedule (usually randomly between 5 pm and midnight) than user applications, policies, etc., which are pushed out at login.

Executable security level that has three options; Run Normal (default), or Run as secure or unsecure system user can be your friend.

This is found under Run Options - Enviroment.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back