Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jassrs

Technical User
Jul 10, 2003
US
Please excuse these really dumb questions.
I have read that the AV server can be installed on a W2K pro workstation. Are there any special steps to configure this workstation as the primary server? Can it be in a workgroup or does it have to be a part of the domain?
Can anyone point me to any symantec setup information?

Thanks for any help..

Yes it can be in a workgroup. My AV servers are.

Okay.. I put the server software on a workstation in the workgroup. I cannot see this computer in the SCC to designate it as the primary server. Any suggestions?

That's odd... When you installed the AV server, did you assign it to a Server Group? Does that Server Group show up in the SSC? If not, In the SSC right click System Hierarchy->new->Server Group and give it the same name as the server group you specified when installing the AV server.

I was able to see the workstation/"server" when I enabled file and print sharing for ms networks in My Network Places. Still not able to see any computers in my workgroup, but mine (which I made the server to test and a kiosk). Do all of the clients need to be shared for the managed AV to work? Or am I missing something? I read in the install instructions to make a text file of the IP addresses of all my computers to import.

As far as I've been able to tell, Symantec doesn't care at all what Network Neighborhood shows. What problem are you trying to troubleshoot?

Thanks for the help. Your first post helped (got me thinking). Have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back