Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie question: Using sync center in Win 7 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
we just now have upgraded some of the Win 7 home premy laptops to Win 7 Pro. we have a domain and Home Preminum is not always cooperative connecting consistantly to a share.
I understand there is a feature called Sync Center now in Win 7 Pro.

I am in charge of each teacher giving me their weekly files and keep track of that in Excel. there are 10 teachers and each submit 2 files.

Can the sync center automaticaly copy their weekly files to our Server say in S:\LessonPlans\Grade 1... when they login in Monday? say they created the files over the weekend then come to school Monday, log in, would it just copy the files or prompt to copy the new files to the server?

DougP

I would use robocopy with the mirror (MIR) option. It will delete any files not on the destination and copy any new or changed files TO the destination. Set it up as a scheduled task on each machine.

robocopy.exe C:\DATAFOLDER S:\LessonPlans\Grade /MIR /ZB /R:2 /W:5 /LOG:"C:\Backup.log"

You need a unique folder on the S: for each computer copying or else each computer will WHACK whatever was put there by the other. So, do it by teacher.

S:\LessonPlans\Grade 1\Teacher1
S:\LessonPlans\Grade 1\Teacher2
etc.

goombawaho, I would rather not delete anything from either side.
is there an option to compare and copy missing files?
i.e. Teacher 1 has a lesson plan folder on their desktop which might contain these files.
3-05-12.xls
3-12-12.xls
3-19-12.xls
3-26-12.xls

I do have separate folders on the server now.
S:\LessonPlans\Grade 1
S:\LessonPlans\Grade 2
S:\LessonPlans\Grade 3

Teacher 1 goes into Grade 1 etc.
and Monday morning the S:\ will not have the most recent file i.e. 3-26-12.xls. So I just need to copy it. but each week the next new file name will change to that Mondays date.

Here is an example of a "pipe dream", but would be great...
Teacher 1 has a program in their startup folder which checks the presence of the server or the S:\drive. If server present, Then compare contents of desktop folder to contents of S:\LessonPlans\Grade 1 folder. Next copy only missing files from desktop folder to S:\LessonPlans\Grade 1 folder.

I would have this handy program or script on everyone computer and change the folders to match each teacher.

DougP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back