Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie question using smart phones & Tablets to a 1 pc local intranet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I am developing a product system that will use various phones, tablets, laptops or whatever can surf the WEB.
I will have a desktop pc (If I don't need a server) it will need to run a WEB site I created)
But I want this local not on the internet.
What do I need to connect phones, etc to the PC's WEB site?
Thsi si what I thnk I need"
IIS7 running on the PC to run the WEB pages?
ethernet Switch connected to PC's ethernet port.
Wireless Access point(s) connected to ethernet Switch to handle broadcast of PC's WEB site to phones etc.

?????

DougP

Correct me if i am wrong.

Your requirement is :

1.that you want to run a website on local LAN which cannot be accessed from internet at all.
2.You want your wireless devices( smartphones, tablets, wireless PC)to connect to the above said website, but at the same time they cannot access internet.

Are these the two things you asked for?

Please confirm.

Regards,

Almost, Question 2: restricintg them to the outside world is not required. they will use any device and I just want them to open my page(s) somehow. I suppose they need to login to that machine? Then does it need to be a server running a domain? The application will be in the IIS folder on that machine.
Question 1. Sort-of This application is on the it works fine there, until the SQL server running it on the hosted site crashes, rendering the whole application usless. so I was trying to figure out a way of hosting it all on a desktop (local) machine so it should not go down. Also then it is not hackable from the outside world.

I guess this is like going to somewhere and logining into a Wi-Fi but instead of surfing the need to see WEB page(s) on the local machine. The local machine will not be conencted to the internet unles required for maintenance or something.

I know at one place I worked we typed the name of the Server (2003) into a browser like:
http:\\ThatServersName. and then its local intranet came up. It was built into Server 2003.
I want to do the same/similar thing but using wireless devices. So somehow when they see that machines Wi-Fi name in their list and they connect to it then my apps Homepage pops up andthey use it.
I know I need a wireless Access point to broadcast and the distance required is only going to be 100 feet or so.

Hope all this makes sense.

DougP

hmm.

what i can recommend is:

1) install a wifi router which is connected to the internet
2) Connect your desktop machine which you want to make as a webserver. and other wireless devices to that router.
3) Install Wampserver on the desktop. refer to wampserver.com. Its a complete package you need to install and run local webserver.
4) during installation of Wamp you will be asked for the ip address of the webserver and other details. provide the local IP address of the desktop.

this should run a webserver within a local LAN which cannot be accessed from WAN, but can be accessed by any wireless or wired device within same network.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Might help to set a static IP address on the PC hosting the web page so it doesn't change for the other devices trying to access it.

Lets clear some things up:

1. Yes for tablets, phones and other devices without a physical wired ethernet port you will need a wireless access point they devices can connect to. This of course will mean that while they are connected to that particular wireless access point if the router has no internet access the mobile devices will have no internet access except through their carrier's data plan if it exists.

2. Setting up a local web server and database is quite trivial, and it will run fine on a standard PC. However if you are expecting more than 10 connections at the same time, then you'll need a Windows Server version, even if its just installed on a regular PC and not a server. That is because Desktop versions of Windows are limited to 10 simultaneous connections for Pro and Ultimate versions and only 3 for Home versions.

3. For the autoloading of the website upon connection, there are different softwares that can do is, or depending on the Router it may be able to be configured to do it as well as some have this capability. Search for "Captive Portal".

4. Once Web server is setup, and connected to the same network as the Wireless hot spot, simply typing the IP address of the server will bring up the default webpage for it. You can also configure the IP to hostname either on the router or on the server itself, so typing a name such as will redirect to the appropriate IP address of the server.

5. Rather than Using IIS, I would personally suggest a WAMP package. (Windows Apache, MySql, and PHP)
These have handy Install Wizards that will setup the webserver and database in a few minutes and include PHP support should you need it. If you require ASP support then IIS is the choice.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Thanks all for chiming in. My pages are .NET 4 ASPX which is why I want IIS? I guess. and db is SQL Server 2008. Also IIS is in Windows 7 Professional, I turned it on in Control Panel. But I am a newbie as I mentioned. Number of connections will probably not be more than 10. This application is only used for an hour or so per day to do work and then they can disconnect and do whatever, or we might have dedicated devices that is all they do.

Lastly this needs to be cheap and simple.
So I need to know if this will work on Windows 7 with IIS and an Access point and nothing or very little more.
it not like this is passing out ton of stuff on the pages. they are simple screens with no graphics at all, just data.

DougP

My pages are .NET 4 ASPX which is why I want IIS? I guess. and db is SQL Server 2008. Also IIS is in Windows 7 Professional,
So I need to know if this will work on Windows 7 with IIS and an Access point and nothing or very little more.

It will work in so far as getting access the the website via the mobile devices. The auto redirecting to the website upon connection as said would take a bit more. Again the router may be able to do it, or you might need to set it up on the server machine.

Other than that, yes the basis will work with just the wireless router and the win pro machine setup.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back