Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie question - RedHat 7.3 and external USB modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

michko

Programmer
Oct 24, 2002
US
I've read way too many problems, helps, howto's and FAQs regarding modem config in linux. I've picked up an external modem, a Diamond MM supra Express 56K USB. Doc for the modem states it can operate in either hardware or software mode, with hardware mode being the default. When I start Linux, it recognized the modem while loading and went to config screen, completed, then continued to load with no problems. The Hardware Browser lists it under modem devices and id's it properly as a Supra Express 56e USB, but under device info manufacturer and driver are listed as unknown and device as N/A. The Add New Device Wizard insists there is "No modem found on your system." I've gone over many pages of docs, but still have some questions. Does the fact that this is a USB modem make a difference, or will setserial work for finding and completing config? If setserial will work, any details on how would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to Linux. Used to do quite a bit through DOS years ago, but am not back to being completely comfortable back at the command line yet (but getting there).

Thanks for any assistance.

I'm not sure i can help you here, but in the past, i've had a similiar problem. I had a modem that couldn't be dialed through linux becoz of some init string problem. It did detect the modem, but there was some errors with the driver and what not. To solve this, i had to makeup a ppp script that would make my modem dial, with the init string that i specified. Here is a link that has a PPP howto, but i doubt you could use the script that is given there.

Since you are using USB, you would need to replace some lines, because this script is for modems with COM ports. In my case, I couldnt do it via the GUI netcfg option. I had to dial PPP direct via the shell.

To do this, first find the modem. Should be somewhere in /dev/tty/ (this was how it was in older versions of RH Linux, not sure how it is now esp. for USB modems. Maybe /dev/usb/ or sumthin. depends on what flavour Linux you're using). I'm not sure if this would work, or maybe there is an easier way to solve your problem. But if you come to a dead end, you could try solving it this way. Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back