Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie question re dsl and routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kh707

Technical User
Jun 1, 2002
US
Ijust got dsl after moving to a new area. since i could not set up my desktop computer at that time I installed it on my laptop. I just used the modem sent to me bythe company. Now I want to have my desktop connected through the dsl and have my laptop able to connect while I'm somewhere else in the house. I was told I needed a router. so I purchased a Netgear wireless. the instructions are pretty basic however when I try to connect to the internet it does not work. I can connect if I use just the modem without the router. Can someone explain to me if it really is necessaqry to have the router and if so what the heck I'm doing wrong? any and all suggestions will be greatly appredciated

Ok I am shooting in the dark as I did not even see an ISP mentioned, but most DSL ISPs use either PPPOE or PPPOA, either way you have to tell you router which one the ISP uses and give it your Account and Password so it can sign in for you, something the software on the laptop is doing now.

I would configure the wired connections first, then once I could get them to talk to the internet add the wireless complexity then.

Most Routers are configure via a webpage, you did not mention which model Netgear you have but some use
I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Yea, guess I forgot to give a few particulars. The router is a Netgear wireless routr 2.4 GHz 802.11b. I am running windows xp home edition on both computers.

Yes I did attempt to reach the but it just timed out every time I tried. It was supposed to open up to a so called wizard but that neve happened.

Howwould I determine if I should use PPPOE or PPPOA? And how the heck to I tell the router which to use?

Sure wish they would write the directions so that the regular user could figure it out! Many thanks for your help...

The ISP you refuse to name will have to tell you if they use PPOE or PPPOA, without their name, no one else can.

Oops. I didn't refuse to name the isp...just forgot! It is velocitus.net. Sorry...

It appears that velocitus.net may use other folks equipment for their DSL service
(from their site: DSL Line Provider:
Qwest customers
New Edge customers
Verizon customers
Nevada Bell customers) so it may in fact vary customer to customer.

Has some replies by a velocitus rep indicating it uses PPPoA, I hesitate to spam her name over the internet but she lists an email address and 800 number for DSL router support. Straight from the horses mouth may be best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back