Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie question: partitioning 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bergis

Technical User
Jun 21, 2001
GB
Hi,
I'm trying to install red hat 7.1 on my pc. I have one hd (20gb). I want to have both W98 and linux (at least until I am good :) at linux). I have two W98 partitions taking ~17gb, and I want to use the remaining for linux. The hd structure then is: (primary part;5.5gb)+{(extended part:(logical FAT32 part;11.5gb)(linux part;3gb)}.
I have partition magic and it seemed that I could use that for creating linux partitions prior to install, so I created one ext linux partition and one swap part (128mb) at the end of the disk. Since I have a relatively new motherboard (abit kt7a) I figured that the 1024cyl issue wouldn't be a problem (and besides, I've done one install of rh 7.0 where it seemed to work, although I was never able to get the display set up...). However, the install program won't do a automatic partitioning, so I try to use disk druid. But I only get error msgs, mostly saying that I don't have enough space, and also one 1024cyl error msg in regards to the boot partition I try to make.
What would be the best approach to make it work? Can I delete the linux parts I've made with PartMagic and leave this as unpartitioned; will the install program recognize this free space and let me partition it for linux? Or does anyone have a better solution for me. I would rather not repartition the whole drive if I can awoid it, but if HAVE to I will do it.
thanks
Kjell

Update:
I managed to do the install after all. I uninstalled everything on the first partition in the extended part, deleted everything else in it, then swapped position with the linux partition (using partition magic), and then installed linux. Went really well to B-), have both kde and gnome desktops. Some minor monitor problems (too low refresh rate, gave me headache), but after running Xconf it went up to a higher refresh rate.
So alls well, almost...
Now there's some isdn configuration to do..

Kjell

Hi,

For isdn config its fairly easy nowadays - just run 'isdn-config' from a X terminal. The devices names, incidentally are ippp0 (etc.) instead of ppp0 for a regular modem. You need the 'isdn4k-utils' and 'internet-config' rpms installed.

Regards

Well, it turns out it's not that easy, at least not for me. I'm struggling with an ISA isdn card, it's clearly recognized, but it looks as though it lacking an driver (in win98 it would hav had an ?-mark beside it in device mngr).
I've tried removing the ISA-card and used a usb-modem instead (zyxel omni.net), but with no more success.
I clearly need to read and learn about basic operations before I venture any further (install drivers, programs etc). Things that I usually do(relatively) easy in Win, is not so easy in Linux (for me!). I have browsed 10's of websites, but I still feel I am not closer to a solution, I am not even sure if I can make the zyxel work in Linux. The usb-ports is recognized (I see them in kde 'device mngr'), but how do I make linux 'talk' to them?
:cool:
Kjell

Hi,

Well, when I said fairly easy I meant the software side really. Hardware configuration is not the easiest to do on Linux, expecially for ISA cards. Did you check to see if your card is supported ? --> . Most cards need the hisax module (driver).

On the zyxel, there is a omninet usb driver supplied with kernel version 2.4.0 onwards. I don't know whether its fully compatible with what you've got, though. If you do 'cat /proc/bus/usb/devices' you should be able to see some info. See --> for stuff on usb.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back