Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie question- network required to use Remote Desktop Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

like2edit

Technical User
May 8, 2003
US
Do PCs have to be on a private network to connect with the Windows Remote Desktop Connection feature?

no. Remote Desktop can be used on almost any network with two or more computers if they are on an intranet or the internet.

If your going to use RDP outside of a network make sure port 3389 is open.

thanks for replies, but let me be clear- you have to use RDP with PCs that are networked together correct? For example, my home PC in New Jersey is certainly not networked in any way to my mom's PC in her home in Virginia, so therefore I can't simply use RDP to connect to her PC over the internet and take control of it, correct?

Yes, actually you can. The key is to make sure that TCP port 3389 is open at your mom's home in Virginia and to know the public IP address. Exactly how to do that depends on the setup there.

Assuming she uses a typical broadband router, use the router's administration functions to set the router's port forwarding to forward external TCP port 3389 to the internal IP address of mom's computer. While in the router admin pages, record the public/wan IP address of the router*. Then from your end, initiate a RD connection to that public IP address.

*For most home users this IP address will change periodically. Have her use or similar service to find the public IP address each time you need to access the system.

Broadband router? I know what routers and ports are, but I don't know of any router connected to my mom's PC. BTW, I'm not a tech person, so maybe there's something obvious I'm overlooking.

Can someone clarify about the router?

thanks.

So is her computer directly connected to the internet? Does it run any firewall software?

yes, directly connected to the internet with high speed DSL (AT&T is the ISP).

She has a Dell and I think it's running a McAfee firewall.

I should have mentioned- I'm running Win XP Media Center Edition, but I think my mom is running Vista- is Vista a dealbreaker with RDP?

Which version of Vista? Vista Business & Ultimate can be a Remote Desktop host; Home Basic and Home Premium can not (similar to the way it is with the different XP editions).

I'm trying to decide between using Go2myPC for $179 a year, or changing my mom's OS to Win XP Pro for $199 and using RDP from my client Win XP PC.

If I use RDP should I be worried about security issues?

LogMeIn has worked like a charm so far and the price is right- free.

Should I be worried about security with LogMeIn?

go with logmein. I have it on all my clients. works like a charm, and its free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back