Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie question: Is it possible to convert a VB4 application to VB 6?? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sometimes76

Programmer
May 29, 2001
PT
Is it??? If so, what do I have to do?

Thanks,
Luís

Have you tried opening the code file in VB 6. Usually it will pick up older versions and tell you it needs to be converted. You simply hit "ok" from there and it will do it on it's own ... usually.

Yeah, but that's not working... VB6 is unable to open the forms, and writes log files for each!! :(

VB 4 comes in two versions - 16 bit and 32 bit. If it is 32 bit, then the above suggestion should work. If it is 16 bit, I hate to be mean, but start typing...

You should be able to load up the program in VB 4, and select an option in the Save As... to save as plain text. You can try that too. Do this for EACH FILE.

Also, check the controls on the forms from VB4. See if there are any third-party controls, i.e. .VBX's. VB no longer uses those, and you need to find updated versions of the controls as .OCX's from the original vendor.

Let us know if this still does not work.

Kevin

Ohhh boy... better start typing!! It's a 16bit application... :/

Thanks for the help, anyway!

Luís

I use vb4-16 files with no problems. It sounds like yours
has 16 bit ocx's that need updated to 32 bit ones. Other than that, it should work fine. PS What do the .log files say?
Dragnut

Dragnut: yes, I think that's the problem, because when I load the project, I get errors loading the 16bit OCX's! How do I update them to 32bit ocx's??

Here's a few examples of errors recorded in the log files:

Line 86: Class Threed.SSOption of control optCJF was not a loaded control class.
Line 199: Class Threed.SSCommand of control cmdGr was not a loaded control class.
Line 279: Class MSGrid.Grid of control grd1 was not a loaded control class.
Line 79: The property name _version in grp1 is invalid.

Many thanks for your help!
Luís

Update on the situation: I tried something different, which worked (to some extent)! I opened up my project in the 32 bit version of VB 4, saved it, and apparently it converted the 16 bit ocx's to the 32 bit ones! At least, when I open the project in VB 6 now, the errors I get are related to 32 bit ocx; to be more specific, I get the "xpto.ocx could not be loaded- continue loading project?" error with the following files: spin32.ocx, grid32.ocx, threed32.ocx and graph32.ocx.

Any thoughts on how to get around this?

Guys, just letting you all know I've worked it out!!! :)

Turns out the missing 32 bit OCX's where all in a folder of the 2nd Visual Studio CD! :) The application is working fine right now!

Thanks everyone for your good advices!
Luís

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back