Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie question about routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannanl

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US
I work at a small hospital that has about 75 clients running static i.p.s. We have a Radiology department that has several machines (not normal pcs) that have i.p.s assigned. They use these i.p.s to talk to a printer for xrays, etc. I want to put them on our network but they use a different subnet than the main network. I need to do this so a Radiologist can VPN in and see CT images from his home. The images are stored on one of the machines (not on the main subnet but this one is a pc, actually a server). I have a switch in Radiology that all of the machines back there run through. I want to link this switch to the rest of my network. The cabling is already in place. I assume I need a router because they are on a different mask. Is this correct? Could some of you guys with router experience suggest a economical, easy to set up router?

Thanks in advance.

Shannan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back