Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie question about registering an ocx 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2003
I'm installing a legacy program on a 2000 machine that I'm building, and it requires some ocx files like vsspell6 which self-registered and tdbg32 which did not. How do I register tdbg32?

Forgive my ignorance, for I am new to the tech world. Any information will result in my undying appreciation because this is the first of an entire dept that I have to update.
-Troy

If it's not selfregisterable, it probably is a plain dll, or not? In that case, just put it in the PATH or in the same directory as the legacy program.

Greetings,
Rick

Sorry I didn't mention this in the first post- both VSSpell6 and TDBG32 are ActiveX controls (OCX). I just thought to check the version info on it and it was made by APEX and that it is supposed to self-register. I still tried putting it in as a global variable and putting it in the program's directory to no avail.

The error message that I am getting says that it could be one of its dependencies. Any ideas?
-Troy

It probably says that it's missing one of its dependencies, which means that the tdbg32.ocx itself is depending on other com servers as well, which are not registered.

Greetings,
Rick

So with no clue what that could possibly be, then there's no way out of this pickle, right?

If there's no way to find what dependencies exist for the tdbg32 ocx, you've got a big problem.....

Greetings,
Rick

Luckily I found out who the programmer was and he'll be in tomorrow.

Thanks,
-Troy

Have you tried registering it with regsvr32?

In case you're not sure how to do this;
- Open the windows explorer and go to where the dll is.
- Click on <start> <run> and then type regsvr32.
- Then drag the dll file from windows explorer to right after this command.
- Hit enter and you should get the message that it was registered succesfully.

If you have Visual studio installed you could use Dependency walker to know wich dlls/ocxs are used for a given exe, dll/ocx themselves.

I did try regsrv32 and unfortunately I do not have Visual Studio. I did find a solution to it a while ago or I'd probably be out of a job, but I forgot to post it. I found two versions of True Database Grid on the network that installed the required dependencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back