Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie question about keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mevasquez

Programmer
Aug 26, 2003
US
I need to reboot a hp 9000 and I am new to this machine. Is there a way to reboot the hp9000 using the keyboard. I am new here and they lost the root password. I need to reboot to boot up into single user mode. I am not used to this keyboard.

Sorry to say, if you don't have the root password, you are going to have to do a hard boot: unplug the system and then plug it back in. I don't think HP has a keyboard like Sun that will let you boot without the password.

I believe MikeLacey wrote an FAQ in this forum on what to do if you have lost the root password. Have you checked that section out?

I got on a another user group and got the answer. Pressing Control-B will drop me into the Guardian Service Processor (GSP). There is a serial terminal connected to the HP9000. I just have to look at the following link, which should have the answer I need. I will keep you posted.

Mike

I didn't know you could press Ctrl B as an ordinary user and get to the /etc/passwd file to change it. Let us know how it works.

Check this page out, I will be doing this today. Ctrl-b just drops into the GSP Command Mode. There is a command, AR, (Automatic server Restart) if you have administrator privileges. If you do not have a password for the administrator, then you can reset the password to default "via a small reset button on Core I/O at the back of the system to regain access to the GSP."

Once this is set, then you can issue the command to restart the server.

I will let you know the results.

Mike

The cntrl-b function works only if the key is turned to service mode and it has exactly the same effect as turning the key to off, so both must only be used in an emergency as your might get corrupted filesystem etc...

OK, after doing more research and checking out this HP9000, I have more questions. The console is an HP 700/96 serial console. On the back of the unit there is a ps/2 port for a keyboard. My understanding is this ps/2 port is used when another compatible console is used that contains no keyboard like the HP 700/96. I am new to HP9000 so here are some questions I have
1. If I were to hard boot the system would the serial console show the bootup sequences so that I can issue the proper commands to boot into single mode?
2. Like in Linux, can I add a ps/2 keyboard and reboot using Ctrl-Alt-Del. Still have the question regarding viewing the bootup sequences from the console.
3. The Ctrl-b listed in the previous thread did not work

The data contained in the database, which resides on this HP-UX contains old customer history and the client might be willing to take a chance on the posibility of filesystem corruption. Wouldn't issuing the command fsck might fix the corruption of the filesytem?

You are going to want everyone off the system and if there are any databases on the system, shut them down.

I'm away from my HP system, but I believe that yes, you will see the boot sequence on the console you have connected to the system.

No, I've never heard of being able to do Ctrl Alt Del to boot an HP system. This isn't linux. You are going to have to hard boot the system.

Please check this faq for the steps to take when you've lost the root password: faq51-227

Finally got around to hardbooting the machine. I had to pres ctl-b at the console to get into GSP mode and then issue the command "rs" to hardboot the system. Then, when the autoboot prompt appears, I presented the space bard. I issued the command "boot pri isl" then at the ISL> prompt I issue the command "hpux -is". After a couple of minutes, I received a message about a dumpsys and to contact an hp representative. What do I do next to get into this machine?

Mike

You core dumped for some reason. It could be because things couldn't be shut down before you booted. I would try the whole routine again: boot (or press ctrl b), interrupt boot, bo pri isl, hpux -is, passwd root.

If that doesn't work, another reason it didn't boot might be that the disk that is listed in the system as the primary boot disk isn't any good any more for some reason. hopefully, this system's vg0 volume group was mirrored.

If trying the simple way doesn't work again, before you type bo pri isl, there is an option you can use to search for bootable media. I think it's sea.

select that and you may have to go through several attempts to get to the media that will boot.

Does this system have a recent ignite tape that you can use to boot from? You also may be able to boot from the installation CD. I believe there is an option that allows you to just change the root password.

by the way, if you get to the prompt, type

/sbin/passwd root

to change the password. /sbin might not be in your path at this level.

I was finally able to boot into single mode and changed the password of root. What I did was to boot up bypassing the quorum and it hung when it said "checking for LVM group and Activating (if any exist)." I waited awhile and then just hit the ctrl-b and gave the command RS. Then, when the autoboot prompt appeared, I hit the space bar. I issued the command "boot pri isl" then at the ISL> prompt, I issue the command "hpux -is," which got me into superuser mode. I changed the password of root and then rebooted.

It seemed to boot ok until it got to "checking for LVM group and Activating (if any exist)." The machne still hanged there. Any more suggestions?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back