Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie ques: Routing external ip's with 1601 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcat

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2001
US
I just recently got a Cisco 1601 to hook to our fract T1 for Internet access. With that, we got a few IP's for external access. My question is, how do I use those? The router's serial interface ip is, say 1.2.3.4, and I also own 1.2.3.5, and 1.2.3.6 for a couple servers. The ethernet on the router is set to 10.0.0.1. Do I set the servers to 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3? Or to 1.2.3.5 and 6? Either way, what do I need to set up in order to let access to the servers in/out from/to the serial interface on their own external IPs?

Thanks

You can use static NAT mappings to do the job. This will help provide a little security as opposed to using the 'real addresses'. To configure follow these steps (assuming you are a little familiar with cisco IOS):

-console into router
-get into interface config mode for ethernet 0
-apply command->ip nat inside
-get into interface config for serial0
-apply command->ip nat outside
-exit out of interface config
-apply command->ip nat inside source static 10.0.0.2 1.2.3.5
-apply command->ip nat inside source static 10.0.0.3 1.2.3.6
-save config by wr mem or copy run start

so this will allow you to keep a private address for the servers (10.0.0.x) but allow outside users to access with public address(1.2.3.x)

hope this helps

That worked alright for regular services like SMTP but I'm having some problems getting IPSec to work. I've got a IPSec server behind the router with pvt ip 10.0.0.6 and public 1.2.3.10. I did this:
ip nat inside source static 10.0.0.6 1.2.3.10

Works fine for www, etc but Ipsec doesn't seem to connect. Is there something special that needs to be done with VPN & NAT?

Thanks,
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back