Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Q CCNA LAB Equipments - Pls Help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

threestarsandasun

Technical User
Jun 7, 2007
US
Hi there everyone..

I just started reviewing for the CCNA exams and I want to set up a LAB at home..(am a newbiest newbie)
I found this on craigslist and I was wondering if this will suffice..
Any feedback and suggestions will be appreciated..

here are the equipments...

4 Cisco 2524 Routers
1 Cisco Pro CPW16 Switch
1 Cisco Catalyst 2900 Switch
1 Cisco CCNA Book (hard cover, third edition)
1 Cisco CCNA companion CD
Assorted cables and hardware accessories.

Hello
I don't want to cut anyone sales!But that lab really leaves a lot to be desired.
You will need at least a Router that does inter-vlan routing.The 2500 can't handle it.So get a 1721 or 2620.The 2900 switch are super end-of-life.Go for 2950 even this is end-of-life it's still the recommended switch for the CCNA.I never had the chance to deal with the Cisco Pro CPW16,but does sound very convincing for the CCNA.
Regards

threestarsandasun,

I agree with Minue on some of that equipment. Wish the seller had listed the amount of FLASH and DRAM on the 2524 routers (I will talk about them later).

For CCNA it would be nice to have 2 2501 or 2503 routers with 16/16 DRAM and FLASH - that is the max for that unit as well as an IOS of at least 12.1 or so. The 2501/2503 have 2 serial interfaces and 1 Ethernet. This makes it very easy to connect the 3 routers back to back to back by serial interfaces - very much how they are in the CCNA Exam SIMS.

Router A ---- Router B ---- Router C

You then can connect the Ethernet ports to different switches and then you can connect your computer to the switch, that way you can both telnet into the routers or use the console cable to connect to the routers.

You would also need a 2620 or 1721 and a serial WIC so to connect it to the other 2 routers. The 2620/1721 is needed to connect to the switch for VLAN and trunking practice.

You also should try yo get at least 1 2950 switch, the other switches are ok for a place for your Ethernet ports to connect to but you will need practice on a 2950 or better switch.

The trouble (I see and I own 3 of these units)with the 2524/2525 routers is that they are moduler and it is hard to get the serial modules - looks like he has 2 5 in 1 serial WICS, 1 DSU/CSU and 1 ISDN module. You will have a hard time connecting these routers back to back to do many of the routing labs that are like the sims you will see on the CCNA exam. You would have to try to locate additional modules, I was lucky - mine came with the modules I needed.

I would spend some time checking out routers on eBay - if you are getting several 2500 routers look for them with 16 mgs FLASH and 16 mgs DRAM and a newer IOS.

Spend time reading and understand what you are buying and you can put a good lab together!

You also might want to check out the Cisco certification forum here at Tek Tips :)

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks so much CiscoGuy33,

Guess I have to look for the units you've mentioned. Will try lookin for those on eBay. Hopefully I will be able to put up a lab soon.

Thanks a lot.
=)

CiscoGuy33,
I took your advise and I read Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammle.
I have the CCNA certificate now. The book helped me with my job.
Our work is switch maintainance oriented.
It is also connected witch router troubleshooting.
We do operation system upgrades of routers and Layer 3 switches. Some od our customers are using X.25

I would like to complete OS upgrades, OSPF and X.25 troubleshooting.
What book can you recommend for CCNP?
The hands-on experience is really needed.
However my mangers will beat my hands if I touch the device configs :)
It is understandable that I need equipment for home use.
Setup could be done as I wish.
This is the place I can upgrade OS with no troubles.
Do you know on-line shop where second hand equipment can be ordered?

Thank you in advance.

Hi
Check out Ebay it's the cheapest for Cisco used equipments.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back