Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie perl ldap question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradamus

Technical User
May 3, 2000
SE
I'm trying to do the following.

Connect to an ldap server and modify an object (objectclass=groupofuniquenames).
The object has an attribute called uniquemember and it's value (multivalued attribute) are several distinguished names (DN).

I want to update these uniquemembers with a list of dn's that I have in an external file.

I'm no programmer and after this day, I'm sure I'll never will be.

I manage to connect without any problem. I can also do ldap-modify to delete and add values of my attribute.
BUT, only if I specify them manually. I can't manage to change my values automatically from the input file.

This is my code.

Code:
my $DISTNAME = 'cn=admin,ou=unit,o=organisation,l=locality,c=country';

open (FILE, "dn");

while (<FILE>) {
        my $diffdn = "$_";
        print $diffdn;
        $ldap->modify( $DISTNAME, add => {uniqueMember => '$diffdn'} );
}
close FILE;
It prints my entries beautifully but I can't get is

What I want to do is run ldap->modify on the admingroup and add uniquemember from the input-file called dn.
I know I'm close and that this is easily fixed. However I've spent the whole day trying to find a sollution to this. I've searched the internet and changed the code way to many times.

Any help on this would be very grateful.

/Sören

could be the single-quotes around '$diffdn' are causing your code to not work correctly, remove them. Don't use any quotes around a single-scalar:

Code:
$ldap->modify( $DISTNAME, add => {uniqueMember => $diffdn} );

Then try your code again.

------------------------------------------
- Kevin, perl coder unexceptional! [wiggle]

I've tried all sorts of quotas around variables and commands without success. I tried removing the single ones from the command, but unfortunately it didn't help.

Do you see anything else that's different or wrong?

Am I doing it right when I extrakt the $_ from the input and use that as input to my ldap-modify request? Will it continue automatically with the next line in my input file using the above code?
I looked into foreach and other ways using the while statement to get it to work but I don't know what I'm doing.

I appreciate every input on this.
Thanks in advance.

/Sören

Does it print $diffdn to the screen every time?

add some error catching to your code to
$ldap->modify( $DISTNAME, add => {uniqueMember => '$diffdn'} ) or die "can't do blah : $!\n";

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those who say it cannot be done are usually interrupted by someone else doing it; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

thanks for your response.

The reason i print $diffdn is to see if it list the content of my input files. which it does. The input file is fairly big/long so I commented it out so it wouldn't interfere with the errorcodes. However the command doesn't die so the $! doesn't show anything. I guess the command is working properly then?
But it still doesn't do what I want.

Any other ideas?

/Sören

Though not knowing that module, I would suggest three points for consideration:
- [tt]$diffdn[/tt] in your code contains an end of line; try replacing the three lines from [tt]while[/tt] with[tt]
my$diffdn;
while($diffdn=<FILE>){
print$diffdn;
chomp$diffdn;[/tt]
-when the argument to [tt]add[/tt] is multivalued, you should pass a reference to an array of values, not a single string; you obtain such a reference by doing (assuming your values are space separated):[tt]
my@names=split(/\s/,$diffdn);
$ldap->modify($DISTNAME,add=>{uniqueMember=>\@names});[/tt]
-I see in the documentation that [tt]modify[/tt] (and other methods) return a message object that you can use to know why the operation was not performed

Franco
: Online engineering calculations
: Magnetic brakes for fun rides
: Air bearing pads

I really appreciate your input. Thanks a lot.

I've tried changing to the code you wrote. No luck.
There must be something wrong with the setup of variables from the input file.

This works like a charm.
Code:
my $DISTNAME = 'cn=admin,ou=unit,o=organisation,l=locality,c=country';

my $DISTNAME2 = 'cn=test test123,ou=unit1,o=organisation,l=locality,c=country'; 

$ldap->modify( $DISTNAME, add => {uniqueMember => $DISTNAME2} )
As soon as I want to take entries line for line from the input file it's not working. To me that sounds like I don't have problem with the attribute beeing multivalued?

The inputfiles (called dn) looks something like this.

cn=test test123,ou=unit1,o=organisation,l=locality,c=country
cn=test2 test234,ou=unit3,o=organisation,l=locality,c=country
cn=test3 test1,ou=unit2,o=organisation,l=locality,c=country
and so on...

If I print @names using your code (after chomp and split) it shows as one long line. Can I really use that as input the way I want?

What should I type to get the return messages from the modify operation?
I can't figure out why the command doesn't give me anything on standard output. If I only knew the errorcodes (if any) from the command, I could figure out how to feed the operation properly.

sigh. hope you understand what I mean.

/Sören

From the online Net::LDAP documentation you should do something like this:[tt]
$result=$ldap->modify($DISTNAME,add=>{uniqueMember=>$diffdn});
$result->code&&warn"failed to modify entry: ",$result->error;[/tt]
Can't see any reason why your last code works and it doesn't when you read from the file.

Franco
: Online engineering calculations
: Magnetic brakes for fun rides
: Air bearing pads

Code:
my $DISTNAME
   = 'cn=admin,ou=unit,o=organisation,l=locality,c=country';
open (FILE, "dn") or die "File open failed: $!\n";
while (<FILE>) 
  {
  chomp;
  $result = $ldap->modify( $DISTNAME, 
     add => {uniqueMember => $_} );
  $result->code && 
     warn "failed to modify entry: ",$result->error;
  }
close FILE;

'$distdn' is a string literal and has nothing to do with the value of $distdn, it is merely the dollar sign followed by distdn.

Kordaff

prex1: I added the errorcodes which was very informative *star* Thanks.

kordaff: I've tried using $_ is input before but I never got it to work. I don't have my original code left for comparison, but it really doesn't matter since the code you posted do what I want. It reads line by line from the file and adds the attribute plus showing errors if any.
Thanks a lot! *star*

/Sören

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back