Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie!..open qmail gateway to accept mail for all users 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

goof1427

MIS
Jul 25, 2006
US
Hi.

First i would like to thank you for the time taken to read. i am new to qmail and have only been working with the qmail admin webbased. users who are not defined in qmail admin or do not have an alias entry are not able to receive mail. We will be migrating over 6000 users in the next couple of weeks and i dont think adding each user is the right way to go to allow them to get email. I was looking into using a wildcard to open the smtp gateway...but i dont know if that is the correct answer either. and i dont know where to put it and how to set it up. i am currently reading life with qmail to help in the matter... any thoughts and suggestions will be be greatly appreciated. thnx.

goof. (exchange admin)

First, if you're building a system for 6000 users, you need to spend A LOT MORE TIME understanding qmail before you do anything.

Second, read LWQ about 30 times.

Then, read from
Now, doing your admin from a GUI for qmail tells me that you're not comfortable with the command line, which honestly is where the real work with qmail gets done. (begin groans from the qmailadmin crowd).

OK, I'll stop being grumpy. But I really need to ask you to explain your situation in more detail.

What are you trying to do with the 6K users? Where are they coming from, where are they supposed to go? How are they supposed to access their email. Etc. !!!

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

appreciate the reply.

- i am reading it again...
- and yes not so comfortable yet.

-what is happening: we are moving users to a new domain...lets say goof.com. all the users were first on other domains but now we need move to this as the primary one. But the only way users who are the new domain (@goof.com) can receive email is that they have been defined in the user list via qmailadmin. now what the goal is to not to have to define each user that has moved over to @goof.com (their new primary smtp).
- i was thinking of using relay or smtpsources
-but this is only for inbound mail ... i want qmail to accep all inbound mail coming to it and even it doesnt see the user on the list..to allow it to pass through and get to the user via Exchange. somewhat similar to this
-am i basically to tell qmail if u dont see this user for @goof.com go to the following exchange server (bridgehead) to resolve the address..
i appreciate any and all feedback. thnx.
-

this has been a great help. appreciate your time and effort. will post as to how things go. thnx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back