Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie needs help converting excel to XML

Status
Not open for further replies.

TECCHIX

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
US
I'm in a bind. Our finance dept has to submit a file to the gov't in XML by end of next week or pay a huge fine. The problem is, we have NO experience in XML. The file is currently an excel worksheet with only about 10 fields. The gov't has provided an XML schema to follow.

Where should I begin? Will one the free parsers do the trick for me, or will I have to purchase a converter? Can we use the Excel 2002 "save as XML" feature, or does that not work not when you have to follow a certain schema?

Is it feasible that I'm going to be able to learn and execute this in a week?

A schema says exactly what elements are required and their names/structure. Excel will spew out the fields using some predefined XML structure it uses.

If you want, save the Excel as XML and post that and the schema and I'll advise you further.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back