Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie needs basic concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

malkier

Programmer
Jun 14, 2000
US
Pardon the ignorance, but I'm transitioning from MDB to ADP development. After having so much paranoia about Access data locks, I am having trouble understanding when I need to worry about data locks in SQL Server.

Simple question in 3 parts.
1) If I use a stored procedure that returns an ordered set of 100 records (2 fields - int & varchar) as the rowsource for a list box, is that data locked on the server as long as the LB is open? (The data is a reference list and is effectively read-only)
2) If it does create locks, are they insignificant?
3) What methods would be better to use in the population of my LB? (temp tables, tables data type, anything else)

This application could be used by 15-20 people at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated.

- J

Forgot to mention.
Application is Access 2000 -> SQL Server 2000 sp3

I believe that SQL creates a unique ID for each record that is open, but if you are showing results in a list box, I'm guessing you don't want to update the data.

I'm using an SQL ade project being accessed by 30+ people, and there seem to be no issues with viewing data in list boxes, nothing seems to be locked as such.

I use vb for my queries, I don't have one stored procedure in my database. I simply use (for example)

Me.List0.Rowsource = "Select Top 100 field1, field2 " & _
"From mytable " & _
"Order By field1 DESC"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back