Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie needs Apache Test Certificate help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterv12

Technical User
Dec 31, 2008
US
I am running a web server on my localhost using XAMPP. I'm running on a MacBook Pro using OS X 10.6.7. I've searched the web looking for information, but found nothing that helps. I want to establish an https session, and from what I understand, I need to configure Apache to use the test certificate that comes with XAMPP. I know nothing about certificates, but I found a site showing how to create one, but it says I need an FQDN (fully qualified domain name) to do it. I don't have an FQDN. Can anyone help me out and get me started with this? I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions.
Thanks,
Peter V.

PETERV
17" MacBook Pro
Snow Leopard 10.6.7

Do you have openssl? I ask because I am not familiar with Mac, but it is available on Linux? If you do, you can create your own certificates and certificate signing authority for test. Another option is to go to startssl.com and get a free certificate, which your browser will recognize. For this you will need a true domain name from one of the top domains (.com, .net, etc) which is inexpensive ($6 to $15 per year USD).

If you are running on a dynamic IP, like a residential account, you can use a service like DynDNS to map the domain to your IP automatically. You can get free domains from them, but to use some thing other than a self signed certificate you will need/want a domain.

A FQDN, as you mention is a fully qualified domain name. For example your PC is named bob, which is the host name. If you had the domain bobdomain.net, then the fully qualified name of the machine would be bob.bobdomain.net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back