Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Needs Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccoffelt

Technical User
Jan 17, 2006
US
My boss has asked me to build a website for our department. The software I have chosen to use is Dreamweaver 8. I took a class on Dreamweaver MX but it has been a few years and things are just slowly coming back to me.

I was wondering if it was better to use frames or tables? I want the Webpage to look the same throughout so I was thinking frames would be the best choice. However, I am not sure I have set it up right. My other question is a stupid one. If I used tables to do the idex page and wanted my other pages to look the same, how would I do that? I have the index page done but can't figure out how to do the rest of the pages to look the same. Do I have to create the same table over and over for each page?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the 21st century - frame design dropped out of active use just before table layout ended (several years ago). Use divs and css to layout a website, only use tables for tabular data. Spend a little time looking through forum215 and forum253 to get a feel for current modern design and layout thoughts.

Frames don't SEO well, don't bookmark well and make internal navigation awkward.

Tables tend to load more slowly, make cross-browser support difficult and are semantically incorrect for normal layout purposes, which means that they are less search-engine friendly.

With divs it is fairly simple to create sites that are consistent across the visual browsers, but still readable and understandable by the non-visual (text type and screen reader). Using CSS allows you to maintain consistent appearance across a whole site (and change it quickly and easily) and present the data in different ways for different media (such as printers and PDAs)

Steam Engine Prints

There are some examples of div/css layouts that cover most of the popular layouts here:
To keep one section of the page constant on all pages have a look at 'server side includes' if your server doesn't do ASP or PHP

Steam Engine Prints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back