Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Needing Some Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshT976

Technical User
May 1, 2003
US
I am very new to ISA Server 2004 and have never used it, or any previous versions before.

I plan to install it so it can be used as a Proxy Server.

Once the proxy server is set up I plan to install Surf Control web filtering on it, to filter web content on my network.

All clients will point to this proxy server for web access.

After I installed ISA Server 2004, I could not ping the ISA Server from other clients in my network. The ISA Server itself could ping any client on my network with good response.

I installed ISA Server using default settings and didnt change any of the default options. (OTher than adding my internal IP range)

Like I said, I am very new to this, and would appreciate if anybody could point me in the right direction.

First. Am I going about this the right. Can ISA server be a proxy server and filter web content requests by itself? I wanted to install Surf Control Web Filter for ISA to handle the content filtering portion of it.

Second. Why could I not ping the ISA server from my clients in my network?

Very much a newb on this one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Joshua

Okay, so i figured that problem out. The default firewall policy pretty much block everything inbound.
I allowed the ping protocol (ICMP) and all was fixed.

Next problem

I have some services that dont listen on their default ports.

For example SMTP and Remote Desktop

When I set up policy to allow SMTP or Remote Desktop (terminal services), it only allows me to listen on the default ports. The edit button is dimmed out which seems like where I would be able to change the listenen port for ISA server.

Joshua

for protocols with not default por you need to create a user defined protocol

for more info go to isaserver.org

hope its helps

Coco10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back