Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie needing assistance in the easiest way to replacing a broken Nortstar ICS 2.0 board with anoth

Status
Not open for further replies.

jethrobodean

Technical User
Jun 21, 2018
US
Hello guys, I am a business owner with a Nortstar ICS 2.0 system. I want to replace the main working board with another after a surge lighting strike, I lost the "on hold music". I thought that I could buy a used 2.0 system and swap the memory cards and everything should work. It doesn't. Do I need to reprogram the whole system or is there an easier way to do this. I thought all the programing would be held in the memory card. The local phone shop is clueless to this old machine. Do I need to reset the new board to factory settings then shut it down and swap memory cards or do I need to start fresh?

Yes programming memory is with the motherboard capacitor.

The reason the new one may not work is because it may have had a higher release software in it so it is not booting up when you put in a lower software.

If it came with sofware in it then put it all back as was then:
When downgrading a Feature**STARTUP must be performed on the system then go through the motions and when it states "Applying template" wait about 15-20 seconds then pull the power, swap software and any hardware then boot up and wait up to 20 minutes sometimes.

If you purchased only a cabinet then you need to short out the Capacitor on the motherboard for about 10 seconds with a 100ohm resistor or screw driver......the resistor method will not knock the life out of the capacitor and is suggested.

And yes program form scratch.

But I just notice you purchased 2.0 software and also had 2.0 software....if that is the case then why did you swap it to begin with?
How much time did you allow for a boot up?

What was the error if any that tells you the system did not work?
Did the reception set (lowest DN 221)give an alarm after some boot up time?

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Well, Nervously I shut down my old system and swapped the boards, placing the old memory and card back in and powered up, waited till the time and date came up which was jan 8 2011 picked up the phone and no dial tone. I freaked because I didnt want system down and swapped the broken board back in and powered up, I purchased a working board Identical to mine. I thought that the stray lighting had fired something on the board that allows the radio to play thru my lines. I am getting static when Feature 86 is commissioned and static when the phone is placed on hold. I already made sure that the music on hold is turned on. Should I of let it sit longer and let it program or was it done when the time showed up on the phone?
No alarm at the main rep phone

I tested and have music to the cabinet. But none to the phones. Am I right to think that something in the board of the cabinet got fired? What is the easiest procedure to replace a cabinet with a working used one? I had a local small town phone tech come out and he seemed clueless and want to sell me a whole new phone system. I assumed that I could just replace the cabinet and plug and play my card and memory card and everything would work.

I have just told you what to do in my last post with complete full details.

"should I of let it sit longer and let it program or was it done when the time showed up on the phone?"
It does not program itself but when you see the time finally come up then yes it is done.

Good luck!

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

So let me get this straight, ( and thank you for being patient with me) Install the newer board and software card and slide in cartridge and restart system, Use a axillary programmable phone, plugged into at the cabinet, enter the system by feature **startup go through the steps and on applying template wait 15-20 secs and disconnect the power. Then install my old software card and slide in cartridge and restart and everything should work? once again thank you for helping me

In you first post you say you have a Norstar ICS, I think you mean Norstar Compact ICS
Norstar Modular ICS = 0X32 or MICS for short and commonly called
Norstar Compact ICS = 4X8 or CICS for short
Both are expandable

Will presume you have the CICS because the software you have is for CICS.

The old is 2.0
The new is 4.2

So you should have just booted up the new system with new software and programmed from scratch.
Instead you tried to downgrade it as I said above by sticking your 2.0 in it.
Put the new stuff back together as it came and boot it up then program.

Note on startup:
If a CICS is at 3 digit programming it will open up the Hunt Group programming which is handy.
But if you are at 2 digits the voice mail would have to be re-programmed also to make it match at 3 digit mailboxes.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

thank you and sorry for the confusion, Yes I have a compact, HOw hard is it to program? I have the book that came with the system, We do not use the voice mail , I have 4 7208's 6 7100's and 2 73100's . three lines . Can i pay ya to talk me through programming? lol is there anyway to copy my settings and copy them to the new cabinet? Will there be a dial tone after I install the newer system ?

Will there be a dial tone after I install the newer system ?"
Depends what STARTUP Template was used.

I suggest you call a local Telecom Vendor (not a phone shop) but one who knows Nortel Norstar or Nortel/Avaya BCM, spend some time searching for one....you will be asking too many questions trying to do it yourself.
Probably a 1 hour charge and worth every penny.

I do not personally walk anyone through programming unless it is to fix an issue that cannot wait for onsite tech, kind of like not having to bang my head against a brick wall.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

With the sets described and no VM, any "competent" tech should be able to fully program and make the system sing within 2 hours (assuming you know what you want).
Like Curlycord we do not program over the phone (we do ofer free tech support AFTER the staff has been trained)
You mention you are a business owner. One thing to keep in mind is this, is the time you will spend programing the system (and losing potential sales because people cannot get thru) a good use of your time.
It is natural to want to save the few dollars and do it yourself. Sometimes I wish I could call my mechanic and have him walk me thru a head gasket swap, but he wants to do it himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back