Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie-ish: iif in query

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnCHolmes

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
US
Apparently I can not define a field as

MyField: IIf(Left$([NAME],3)=”ABC”,null,[NAME])

The query designer forces square brackets, a la [”ABC”]
and then interprets it as an unknown field (the popup that essentially asks " What is ["ABC"] ").

IIf and Left appear to be supported in this context so now I'm stuck. Help?

A2000 on Win2000. TIA.

=IIF(Left([Name],3) = "ABC","",[NAME])

"I know what you're t'inkin', ma petite. Dat Gambit... still de suave one, no?"

Thanks but Null vs. "" is not the issue. What happens when you run the query?

Your answer may have collateral usefulness so thanks for sharing it.

Just created a query based on a table with the following:

ID (autonumber)
Name (Text)

1 ABC1234
2 DEF2343
3 ABC1276
4 FGV2345

using the answer I gave you I got...

1 <BLANK>
2 DEF2343
3 <BLANK>
4 FGV2345

&quot;I know what you're t'inkin', ma petite. Dat Gambit... still de suave one, no?&quot;

RESOLVED.

Squint hard at the original question. It has &quot;ending double quotes,&quot; not &quot;generic double quotes.&quot; Access barfed on them.

I edited the actual query -- which is a 16-legged-hairy-mother query with parentheses out the yeng-yang -- in Microsoft Word, in order to use linfeeds and indentations to follow what the bojesus was matching up to what.

Word graciously converts &quot;straight&quot; quotatation marks to &quot;slanted&quot; quotatation marks, causing the choke.

Thanks for trying, anyone.

Notepad my friend.... notepad!

I've done this as well, copy the formula and paste it in a cell in Excel. Put a &quot;=&quot; in front of it. Then move your cursor within the formula. It will attempt to highlight the corresponding parenthasis, quotation, etc. Works quite well sometimes!

yes i saw that too--when i copied john's code into access, i got some honked up vertical bars instead of quotes.....it LOOKED cool tho....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back