Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie in windows 2000, help!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arubioe

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
FI
hi everybody, i newbie in computer world and i have a great problem. My company has two domains based in Windows NT(A_DOMAIN and B_DOMAIN). Also, we have a Internet domain (B_DOMAIN.COM).
In PC's network configuration there is two external DNS's(?¿).
I want to update A_DOMAIN to Windows 2000, and i have read that i need to install DNS for Active Directory.
My question is:
When i run dcpromo, it ask me netbios name and domain name,what is correct to put??
Is there any relation between my B_DOMAIN based in Windows NT and Internet domain (B_DOMAIN.COM).
What is correct network configuration for my workstations?
help!!!!!!!!!!!11

do you want to join A domain to B Domain to make 1 (Trust and then Migrate)?

Or keep them separate and just Trust?

You could put Domain B.COM as the domain name during dcpromo but this 'might' lead to problems later, probably won't if you do it right.

probably want to do child domain such as Office.DomainB.Com so workstations are Machine1.Office.DomainB.Com

then configure DNS as DomainB.Com and Office.DomainB.Com as trust and Zone

Basically search Microsft or someone like because there is tons of information to this 'little' lot

i want to promo domainA, not domainB. And last, create a trust with domainA(WNT).
what do yo want said with configure DNS as DomainB.Com and Office.DomainB.Com as trust and Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back