Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie in Trouble 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty

Programmer
Feb 22, 2001
US
Hi Folks,

I have been left in the lurch and need to make changes to our router. We have a Cisco 1601 router and basically I need to add in a static route but have absolutely no idea to do it as I have no experience with routers. CAn anyone tell me how to do this.

Thanks.

Mighty

the command needed is:

ip route <remote network> <subnet mask> <next hop router>

so if the remote network is 192.168.10.0/24 and the next router along the path towards the remote network is 10.10.10.5 the command would be:

ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.5

How do I print the current routes set up on the router. Is it just ip route print???

Mighty

Do you need to add a static route for NAT? As in, you have an external IP you need to match up and translate into an internal IP?

Example:

Internet----->external IP -->Router-->Internal IP

For that you would use

ip nat inside source static command - you can find more info here:

To look at the routing table you need to command:

show ip route

Now, if you need to look at the lines on your configuration pertaining to the static routes, you need to issue the command:

show running-config

and look at the ip route ... lines

Basically what I need to do is route traffic to a server on our internal network. Traffic would come on an external IP address. I need to route that to our firewall in our DMZ and from there to our internal network using a NAT on the firewall. I just need to know how to get the traffic from the router to the firewall. There is already a similar route to another server on the router if I knew how to view it.

Thanks

Mighty

The commands above will help you achieve your task.

ip route <server IP address> 255.255.255.255 <firewall IP address>

I have telnetted to my router and when I type show ip route I can see all the current static routes. However when I type in the ip route command to add a new route it gives an error. Do I have to be in configuration mode or anything like that. And if so, how do I do it.

Sorry about this.

Mighty

GOt it sorted. Had to enable it and then go into config mode. Thanks for all the help guys.

Mighty

I might need to post this question somewhere else but I thought I'd try here first. I added my static route to the router using the ip route command. Do I need to do anything to activate it??

Basically PPTP traffic to our VPN server used to come in on 198.10.20.1 (for example) and I now need to change that to route it to 198.10.20.2. I set up the static route on the router for the new address. I then set up a persistent route on our firewall to translate this address to the internal IP of our VPN server.

We use checkpoint firewall and there is a PPTP rule which allows all PPTP traffic from any source to any destination so I presumed that I didn't have to change anything there. Now when I try to connect to the new IP using a VPN connection there is only one line in the checkpoint log. The request seems to get to the firewall but no further. Do I need to do anything else on the router/firewall to fix this??

Thanks guys.

Mighty

have you removed the 'old' route?
using the command in enabled config mode:
no ip route <server addr> 255.255.255.255 <f/w addr>

If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

The 'old' route is for a different server and I can't remove it is it is required for other traffic. I just need to route PPTP traffic to a different server.

Mighty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back