Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie in need of desperate help... Commercial printing issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindofchester

Technical User
Oct 6, 2003
CA
Hello everyone! I would like to ask you a question. I am making a catalogue with 24 pages which will be saddle stapled. Firstly, I want to know if I have to do the imposition myself (page one with page 24, page 2 with page 23, etc.) or if the printer takes care of that. Also, what format should I give the file to the printer in? They suggested EPS. Is this correct?
Please!! I need help!!
Thanking you in Advance,
Chester

It would be highly unusual for the printer to ask you to do it yourself...and 'correct' is whatever they ask for...but EPS??? I'd recommend going to to find an ASN member who would take your file as either native ID or a PDF.

I recently created a 10 page booklet in ID. The printer didn't have ID, so I saved it as a Press Ready PDF and gave the printer a simple B/W printout showing how it should be imposed. So I would let them take care of the imposition. Most printers should be able to handle the PDF.

Thanks for the quick responses! They have been very helpful.
As for the PDF, what resolution should it be exported as?
What do you mean by press ready?
I'm sorry, I'm new at this, hopefully soon I will be able to answer another newbie's inquiries!!
Thanks alot!

Also... do you check the SPREAD feature? or just simply export each page separetely...
thanks again,
Chester

You should export each page separately. Make sure you use crop/bleed marks if your design reaches the edge of the paper.

PDFs can be exported based on profiles or presets. There is one for an 'eBook' and also one for a 'press'. You want to export this for the 'press'.

You would do well to read the manual about exporting PDF. All of this is explained there. This forum is good for asking questions about the manual, not rewriting it.

Good luck with the printer. While it is not required that a printer uses InDesign, it is important to have a good dialogue with them to work out the PDF or EPS workflow.

- - picklefish - -

Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

If your in the Tri-state area and need a printer that can handle Indesign files - -contact these guys. They helped me out big time with some projects that I created in Indesign.

Your printer should do your impostion for you and the fact that they want eps files and not your Indesign files, very scary. What if you need to make some rush changes on press.
Is it me or does it seem that more printing companies just do not want to deal with Indesign.

> Also... do you check the SPREAD feature?

Yes, there is a small script that came with your InDesign installation CD. It's called "BuildBooklet.scpt", and you should copy it into the folder "Scripts" of the main Indesign Folder.

After that you (re)start Indesign, open your document and show the "Scripts"-Palette. There you find the BuildBooklet.scpt: start it and do what they want!

It's not very sophisticated. If you need things like this more often, try "InBooklet". You find it on
Oops: on Macintosh. Don't know for Windows.

Thomas M. Reuter
Munich
-------------------
[Mac G4DP, OS 10.2.6]

The same script is available on the CD for Windows, and it works great for small booklet imposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back