Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie: how to I line up text? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

doodler22

Technical User
Oct 16, 2006
US
I'm using Frontpage for the 1st time.

I'm trying to accomplish this look:

Senior Writing and Production Coordinator

This is my html:

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3"><b>
Senior Writing and Production Coordinator</font></p>

What am I missing to get the S in Senior and the C in my first name to line up?

Add a series of &nbsp;. Each one will act as a blank space.

Code:
<p><b>From:</b> Charleen Baselice</br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; Senior Writing and Production Coordinator</p>

That code should do what you want.

--Dan
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Better to use a table, more accurate line up . . .
Code:
<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4 border=0>
<tr>
<td valign=top>
<p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"><b>FROM:</b></font></p>
</td>
<td valign=top>
<p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">
Charleen Baselice<br>
Senior Writing and Production Coordinator</font></p>
</td></tr></table>

Or just use the table menu in frontpage to draw a 2x1 table

Adrian Paris

Paris Engineering Ltd

Google search of just tech forums & articles
(very useful, honest!)

Thanks for the helpful tips, I will definitely be using these in the future. Have a few purple stars, you champions!

-kaht

Lisa, if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

[small]<P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <B> <P> <.</B>[/small]

kaht, you're my hero !

and some more purple love for the experts.. :)

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Just curious -- what do the tags <tr> and <td> mean?

the tr & td tags are rows and colums in the table,

<tr> is a new row

<td> is a new colum

</td> ends the colum

<td> starts another colum

</td> ends the colum

</tr> ends the row and . . . .

<tr> will start another row

etc etc etc,

normally have the same number of colums in each row of course (unless you use colspan= in the TD tag to span multiple colums but I won't go into that.)

Adrian Paris

Paris Engineering Ltd

(very useful, honest!)

I know its a little late, but I've always used a span element to do this. something like:

Code:
<span style="margin-left:Some#em;"></span>

I don't see why you couldn't use Some#px also. It's basically an easier way to use what Bandenjamin recommended. I'm not familiar with FrontPage but I don't see why this wouldn't be allowed.

I think the use of tables for formatting is mostly discouraged, perhaps you would find this a good read:
Hope this helps,

Alex

[small]----signature below----[/small]
Majority rule don't work in mental institutions

My Crummy Web Page

CSS is the best way to build the layout maybe but probably not an ideal example for someone who is just leaning, nested tables have been used for years and make it easy to visualize what you are doing as you are going along.

Surely once all the basic are mastered about how pages work and are put together then they can start looking into CSS etc

Adrian Paris

Paris Engineering Ltd

(very useful, honest!)

I prefer to learn the right way first, rather than the wrong way. Saves having to relearn through all those bad habits.

But learning is a process of trial and error - so making a few mistakes along the way is fine, as long as they're learned from and the developer is wise enough not to preclude any alternative in the future that is actually a better way to do things.

As an analogy, it's like learning to drive a car for the first time and hooking up a horse to pull it when you take the handbrake off, with a combination of ropes and the round thing in front of you helping to make it go where you want... wow.. it keeps you dry, and has much comfier seats than those darn coaches, and the wheels are softer too! (Sure thats the old way to do it, but things have moved on a little since then) ... Maybe if someone had suggested turning the key, putting in gear and using the pedals the experience would have been life changing...

And I suppose this is FrontPage we're talking about, so it's unlikely that semantically correct and valid markup and separated style, behaviour, content and structure are the biggest challenges of the day.

In other news... man uses knife as screwdriver... ;-)

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back