Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie here- HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bran2235

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
Hello everyone-
New to SANs / NASs / etc...
We just implemented:

An HP EVA 4000 (2 controllers) w/2 Disk Shelves (2 groups)
Two Fiber HP Switches
AND a NAS Cluster (2 HP DL380s) using Microsoft MPIO.

So far, we have carved out 4 150GB partitions and presented them to the NAS cluster (2 DL 380s). Now, how can I use this 600 GB of space for a "File Server" purpose? Basically, I just need to share Directories, Docs, etc. Since I don't understand everything above, how will an end user access data on one of these 4 partitions (LUNs?)?? Is it similar to UNC syntax? \\servrername\sharename????? Am I doing this right????

Any suggestions???? I have to migrate two file servers to this space of 600 GB!! I want to make sure I understand what I am doing and make sure I do it the right way- before I even begin!!!!

Many, Many, Thanks!!!!!!
Brandon

You should see the Microsoft MPIO's documentation. The SAN (FC switches and storage) is just the back-end. The presentation servers are the 2 HP DL380s with the windows software.

I don't know about the MPIO, but I guess you should share some folders and get them as \\server\shared_folder as in any windows system.

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

The NAS heads should have connections to your Ethernet LAN. With that said, when you create the CIFS server (Common Internet File System), you should then add it to the domain. You then create shares and assign the shares to the CIFS server. You in turn map the drive as \\cifsservername\sharename

Thanks everyone-

Here's a more complex question (same issue):

I had four LUNs presented to my NAS Cluster (each 150 GB)- I wanted to decrease size of each to 100 GB. ...Sooooo, I unpresented the four LUNs and then Deleted the Virtual Disks (LUNs)- Then, re-created four 100 GB Vdisks (using Comand View). I presented these to BOTH of my NAS boxes but I think I messed up the 'cluster', so to speak. I Guess I need to rebuild the cluster (there was never any data on the drives anyway)- so a good place to start learning... Does anyone have any good documentations or steps I need to follow in order to re-create my cluster??????

Thank you everyone!!
Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back