Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie error message question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgerdner

Programmer
Mar 30, 2005
US
When running a map I receive the message:

"Valid input but unknown data found"

I just writes one output record (runtime window shows one input, one output) then quits. Does anyone know what this message usually means?

Input meets all requirements of the type tree, but there is data that does not fit the tree. Quite often, this is an extra <cr><lf> at the end of the file. Look at the input trace for that card. Open the data in a hex editor.

Send $25.00 US to my account :)

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Thanks. I don't think it's the <CR><LF>; I should have specified that my input card is from a database table. I created a query in the database definition, generated a typetree for that query, and use that query for my input.

Since Mercator is generating everything for me I wonder if perhaps there is some kind of datatype that commonly causes problems? If there's anything you know about that would be great, otherwise perhaps I'll just retrieve one column from the database, and add one column at a time until I find the one causing a problem.

Hi dgerdner
If you are connecting to the database using an mdq file turn on the trace on the mdq or use -T filename command and obtain a trace.This will be a lot easier to debug than the trial and error.

arcadi2005

Turn on imput backup for the DB input card. That way you can see what is being retrieved. Data trace for the map will give you the information, database trace file would not have what you need unless you have a connections problem. You can get a DB trace if you use an mdq or not. FYI.

If this doesn't solve your problem, send the input file, mdq, input tree and sql to create the table to Ascential support, along with the DB version and DataStage TX version you are suing.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

When you run your trace the mtr file should tell you how many unknown bytes it found. You can back into where the problem is from there.

It could be any number of issues, but essentially, as said before, there are one or more bytes causing the problem. Maybe a non-printable. Figure out what the byte(s) is and adjust the tree accordingly.

Also, with the DBID you can create several types of trees. Is your DB input based on a simple query, stored procedure or other? It may be the tree is not correct based on how the data is retrieved.

eyetry

PS: I don't do much with DBs so BocaBurger can let you know if I'm sending you down a dead end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back