Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie DNS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microsloth

Programmer
Oct 27, 2003
US
I sort of lost on this one, so maybe someone could be of help here. I currently have the domain name phillipsakers.net, and the name servers are being hosted by GoDaddy.com. I need to install & run Windows 2000 DNS (to implement a spam filter & also to be able to see our website, which is hosted out out subnet). I have succesfully installed the DNS service, but here's where I get confused. If I enter a record to point to our website, and it's an internal IP (not accessable to the outside world), does that create any problems for the GoDaddy name servers? I'm using the same domain name (phillipsakers.com), so I don't know if there any kind of conflicts betweem my internal DNS and GoDaddys?
Also, once I get the previous question resolved, then can I safely point all servers & workstations to my internal DNS server?

The DNS servers for this domain are PARK5.SECURESERVER.NET and PARK6.SECURESERVER.NET so any server querying your domian should be directed to these as the authoratative servers. They should not be querying your server.

For added security, as your DNS server is for use on your network only and you shouldn't be answering any external requests, you might as well block all inbound port 53 requests on your firewall.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back