Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie deleted inittab

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveDosss

Technical User
Oct 5, 2004
US
I was attempting to copy /etc/inittab to another directory for analysis, and somehow deleted it. I found /etc/inittab.old, and copied it to /etc/inittab, restoring general functionality to the system. When dialing in from a remote system, the modem answers, but I get wild characters instead of logon prompt. I do have a tape backup running. I need to know how to browse the tape to see if my deleted /etc/inittab file is there.( I removed the tape so the auto-backup would not overwrite the good file). Hope I'm not dug in too deep..... Thanks !

Normally inittab is the output of this pipeline:
(cd /etc/conf;cat cf.d/init.base init.d/*)

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

The wild characters are probably just the difference in baud rates assigned the port between the 2 files. So you could probably resolve the character issue by editing the replacement inittab line for the correct gettydefs token.

If I recall correctly, inittab is rebuilt with a regen of the kernel as it pulls the required info from the config area.

Depending on whether you are using a supertar as your backup method, the file might show with tar tvf /dev/tapedevice /etc/inittab. And extract with xvf.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back