Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie: Create New Web Page from existing page 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthNone

Programmer
Jan 27, 2003
US
Hi, thanks for taking time to read this.
We're a Lotus Notes outfit. There is a webpage I need to copy to a new name so that I can edit it. I think I can handle the edit side all right, but I am stumped on how to copy the original page.
I greatly appreciate your time.

What do you call a web page ? Is it a document in a Notes database, the default page of a Notes database opened from the web, or an HTML file in the Data/Domino directory of the server ?
The copy method to use will be different in each case, so it would be good to have a bit more info before attempting to answer.

Thanks for taking time to inquire about specifics.
I navigate to the existing web page through Notes databases feature. When I edit the existing web page, it refers to it as a "document" That document has a calendar into which we insert 'hot spots' each month as new accounting reports are generated. Then others can go to this calendar, click on the month, and go to the details for that month. I have to create a new documents for FY2004 that is very similar to FY2003.
Any help gratefully received.
NorthNone

Right. This is not just doc copying, this is a full-fledged Web development issue. And you're not in luck on this one : I don't know much about web development in Notes ! Sorry.
However, I have mucked around with this sort of development a bit. So I do have a few ideas you might find interesting.
In my experience, if you need auto-updating hotspots which grow with the life of the database, you need to use views and make the document list in the view be your hotspot list.
In other words, in your frameset, set one frame to look at a view and an other to be the data associated with the view.
Each new date (hotspot) will be a document in that view. The view code should transform the document reference into a web-navigatable hotspot.
The way to do that - at least the one I've learned - is to make a field in your target data document create the URL reference that it responds to. Once you have that, just pluck that reference into the hotspot doc and you're done.

Of course, this idea might just be a complete redesign of your actual db, so a quicker way might be to just copy-paste the current hotspot doc and edit the existing fields/hotspots as you go.
Not being able to see your code, I cannot judge the difficulty of either procedure.
Its up to you, but if you want any help with my idea, I'll be glad to give a hand.

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back