Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie - Create a project plan x weeks from end date

Status
Not open for further replies.

maque1

Technical User
Dec 31, 2013
US
How do I create a microsoft project plan where the start date equals 7 weeks from the end date each time. I want to be able to enter an end date and then they first task begins 7 weeks earlier then that date.

You can schedule from a project finish date in Project by changing the "Schedule from" in Project Information to "Finish date". As to the 7 weeks - why seven? Does the task take 7 weeks to complete? If so, set the task duration to 7 weeks and the start will be calculated. That being said - a single task with a 7 week duration is a bit long. I suggest assessing your level of detail in the WBS and revising.

I would also set a milestone last task for your end date and place a "Must Finish On" constraint. Whether the end date is indeed moveable is not as importand as forcing earlier tasks to line up. You might also want to have a milestone "Must Start On" first task. This will force everything within those two boundaries.

==================================
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

You can also look into applying a lag.

One additional question regarding the 7 weeks. Is that seven calendar weeks? Or 49 days? Or 35 working days? These are important considerations and can be somewhat controlled using the Project Calendar. HTH.

==================================
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back