Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie can't network....

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrthoDocSoft

Programmer
May 7, 2004
US
I have 3 windows 10 pro computers and a dell server running windows server 2012. I have 2 copies of MS SQL Server on the server and 1 of the computers. Now I have a VB6 program that when I run it on the computer with SQL Server and "aim" it at the databases on the computer, It works just fine. But when I aim it at the databases on the server, I get connection errors. So I think my connection string is just fine, but that I don't have "permission" to write to the db on the server.

In a related problem, im trying to connect yet another computer to the C$ share of the computer with MS SQL Server, and I can't seem to map a network drive to it. I try:

F:
\\MyComputerWMSSQLServerOnIT\C$

It asks for my credentials including passwords, and then gives me:

Access denied.

Please help. I am fairly brand-new to all of this.

Mark

[lookaround] "you cain't fix 'stupid'...

This is really more of a SQL Server question than a Windows question, so it probably should be in:
It looks like you need to have the user created in SQL Server's server. In addition, the prompting for password can be avoided with Integrated Security.
Again, I would repost in the SQL Server forum.

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than cognitive innovative agile big data clouds)

You have to allow sharing of the C:\ drive on the server with the workstation and you have to make the ODBC connection on the workstation to the server with a user/password that can access the sql server database.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back