Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie ? about - mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBaileys

Technical User
Jun 23, 2003
US

I am very new to linux. I am able to mount a hard drive with the GUI. But, it is read-only. How can I mount the drive for read write...

mount /mnt/hda2 -rw

??

Thanks,

JB

As far as I know, all file systems are mounted as rw unless its a CD or you explicitly specify -o ro. Your problem is that you, as a normal user, do not have rights to write to the mounted filesystem.

You can try mount /mnt/hda2 /mnt -o uid=[your uid].

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

Zeland,

I tried the command and it returned an error:
mount: /mnt/hda2 is not a block device

Does it matter if it is a second partition?

I then mounted as mount -o rw /mnt/hda2 and it did not report an error. (seemed to work)

Tried to delete a file and received an error that it is a "read-only" system.

You can use
Code:
mount
to get a list of current mounted partitions (filesystems)
It will show you all partitions mounted and the capabilities.
If your hda2 partition is listed as (ro), you might try to un-mount it with
Code:
umount /mnt/hda2
and then remount it again as rw.
:->

Geirendre,

When unmounting using:
umount /mnt/hda2

It gave an error:
umount: /mnt/hda2: device is busy

Nothing is running. I started knoppix and started a terminal session.

Thanks,

-JB

You can't umount it if you are in that directory,if
Code:
pwd
shows that you'r in /mnt/hda2, then cd to another directory and try again.
Code:
cd
umount /mnt/hda2

umount and mount - seem to work after unmounting with the BUI. However - trying to simply delete a few files. Received an error when mounting rw

mount: block device /dev/hda2 is write-protected, mounting read-only.

Ahh... fat fingered my reply to you JBaileys. I actually ment to say /dev/hda2 instead of /mnt/hda2.

Let's get a clearer picture first.
1. What file system do you have on the disk you want to mount?
2. What file permissions do you have on the mount point after mounting? (ls -l)

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

If your GUI object is mounting ro then you have a couple of options:

1. With most GUI-based mount tools you can right click on the disk icon, choose Action and Change Read/Write Mode, then select the Read/Write option (doing this from memory, so the option names may not be correct).

2. Open a terminal window and type "mount -o remount rw /mnt/hda2" and Linux will remount the drive with read/write permissions. You must do this as root, so if you are using one of the LiveCDs you will probably have to append "sudo " to the beginning of the command.

The reason that you are probably having difficulty unmounting the partition is that you probably have a Konqueror window open that is displaying that directory. If any application is working in that directory (or sub directory) you will get that unmount error.

pansophic

The file system I am using is NTFS with Windows 2000. I finally turned to a hardware solution...

Using a USB ide converter, I plugged into the HD and moved the files I wanted. Cleared the temp files, but I decided it was time to walk...

So, I fdisked and reinstalled.

Thanks for you help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back