Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEWBEE NETWORK SETUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2015
US
Hello,

I normally just do basic server support and mostly client computer support. Occasionally I have to make changes in configurations for something to work and I often do that with technical support of whatever hardware/software system I'm working on at the time. I don't do setups, but I have a new network setup to do this Friday. I'll have a brand new Windows Server 2012 r2 Standard, a Fortinet FortiGate-60D VPN Firewall, a CenturyLink C200A-D DLS Modem, a dumb gigabit switch, a single printer and 5 computers. I'll be almost always remote in a support role (doing updates and resetting passwords). There will be 3 additional users. One will need to occasionally VPN in from various remote work sites and I thought it prudent to make the other 2 users VPN users too in case they need to work from home during inclement weather. I'm not worried about the actual server software setup I have some experience with that. I'm trying to think my way through the whole picture and stressing about getting the routing setup properly.

Please let me know if I'm missing something or making it too complicated or the order is wrong.

1. Do I need only one Static IP address from the ISP CentryLink to set on the firewall? I can setup DNS on the router and use an static internal IP on the server?
2. Set up the server and test before I setup the router/firewall/vpn?
3. Should I bridge through the modem? I've never done this and would most likely have to call the ISP for specific help.
4. The physical location is 30 minutes from civilization... is there anyway to test the VPN without making trips back and forth (I suppose doing it right the first time would be good, but again I've never done it. I've have all sorts of notes and seen videos. (<- my brain hurts)
5. The Fortigate VPN instructions all use an LDAP connection to the server and need a common name and distinguished name?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back