Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEWB question about accessing Pocket Access Data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebedard

Programmer
Sep 27, 2004
CA
Hi all,
im working with c#.net It's my first time programming in c#, my first time programmtin in .net and also my first time programming for a pocket PC.

Here is my question. I created a Database with access and I synchronized it into my Pocket PC. A .cdb has been created.

First, can I create an ODBC into my Pocket Pc pointing into this file ?

Second, what is the best way to access my data from the database in C#. By creating a Dataset ? By creating a DataTable ? Both ? Anything else ? Someone have an complete exemple to help me ? Thank you very much.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel,

Hey - I've been looking around to see if I can answer this question for a day or so. Unfortunately, it appears that you're going in a direction that's not so Microsoft supported. I found this newsgroup article that might offer some insight. It also appears that some guy is trying to sell his own product. A link is provided. You should see if it does what you want to do.

I wrote an application over 2 1/2 years ago that was a real-time data access and manipulation tool using wireless handheld devices (my first venture into C#, too!). We elected to use Web Services and XML for our connection and data format, more for interoperability than support. If you want some samples of how we did that, i can probably hunt around for them. I can say, however, that the XML approach worked very well, and is supported extensively in .Net and .Net CF.

Sorry I couldn't provide a programmatic solution for you. Hopefully this will help you a little, though.

Hi Sacheson,
thanks you very much for your time.

I have seen something about ADOCE CF to connect with a Pocket Access .cdb database. After some test period (2 days...) I finally obtain a good result... but only with the PPC Emulator 2002. It dont work with my real Pocket Pc but I think Im near the answer. With the Emulator, I can access the data and read it. I think Im gonna go crazy but I think I can see the light...

Wireless should be great to develop but the customer will not buy a solution costing more than 10K$, programmation included so I think I will forget it. Thank you again and have a nice day.

Emmanuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back