Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New XP old Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am buying a new computer (Gateway) that will come with Windows XP and MS Works (Home) 2002. For some reason, MS feels home users don't need spreadsheets, so Excel is not included. I do not want to upgrade to Works for Office for $129. I have MS Office 97 for my old Windows 98 machine. When I get the new XP/Works 2002 computer, can I install the Excel 97 component?
please reply to this forum and to BKEngrPCH@aol.com (I'm having some problems staying linked to this site -- I may have even already posted but it seemed to boot me off, sorry if it's a repeat)

I would think so. If I remember correctly my friend has Office 97 running on XP pro so I don't see why it wouldn't work on XP homme. //**********************************//
Mithrilhall a.k.a. Shadowblades
//**********************************//

OK

Right-Click on the short cuts for each program. Then click on the conpatibility tab then select win98 compatibility or what eve OS works then you are ok
It iwll owrk and will not degrade the performance.

Good Luck
LT

If I were you, I would scrap the whole MS-Works suite and go all MS-Office. In case you haven't used Works yet, it is a very diluted version of Office. I used Works 2000 (which came bundled w/ a HP machine) and I was pretty distraught using it. If you open a regular Office Doc, the formatting gets all screwed up and visa-versa.

Works does have a spredsheet built in - if I remember correctly. I, too, would advise going for Office, much more usable IMHO, and I used to think Works was better! (Once upon a time...way back when...):) BeckahC
X-)

Works is a separate product entirely, meant for home use. Many people needed a better word processor, or needed Word for school work, so there are bundles that include Word with Works too.

In my own experience most people never even learn how to use a word processor even halfway decently.

Just today I had to deal with a nimrod who puts hard returns at the end of every line - and curses Word for being "crap" when she has to edit stuff later (she has to go back and redo the line breaks all the time)!

These people shouldn't even get WordPad on their machines.

Can you believe they let people like this drive on public roads, too? Scares [/i]me[/i]!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back